Thanks to everyone who made Bike to Work Day a fabulously successful event this year. You were the best part of the Bay Area’s biggest bike day. Mark your calendars: Bike to Work Day 2012 is May 10. The East Bay’s biggest bicycling event came and went May 12, 2011 and your participation helped us top last year’s record-setting event. By helping out, you not only enjoyed a heck-a-fun event, but you improved your bike commute-find out how! Volunteers helped everywhere. For more information on Bike to Work Day 2012, please contact Dave Campbell, our Program Director and Bike to Work Day Coordinator, to get involved.
- Pedal and win great prizes and be ‘counted’Register to enter our free Bike to Work Day Raffle for your chance to win a new bike and other great prizes!
- Two generations of bicycle stalwarts earn 2011 Bike Commuter of the Year Awards: Berkeley 6th grader, Brentwood distance rider The East Bay Bicycle Coalition announces Al Lim of Brentwood as the 2011 Bike Commuter of the Year for Contra Costa County, and announces Jason Hollick of Berkeley as the 2011 Alameda County Bike Commuter of the Year. Our award winners, Al Lim of Brentwood and Jason Hollick of Berkeley, will receive their awards and ‘fabulous’ prizes at the Bike Away from Work Party, 5:30-8:30pm in Old Oakland on Bike to Work Day. Join us for the celebration and to honor Al and Jason.
- Over 110 Energizer Stations ready to reward you on Bike to Work Day On Bike to Work Day, over 110 energizer stations are set up on the streets of the East Bay, ready to greet cyclists with morning snacks and refreshments and musette bags full of goodies and all the information you need to know about the Bay Area’s biggest bike event of the year. Stop by one of these energizer stations on your way to work (or home from work) and get your earned rewards. A map of these energizer stations will also appear in the May 4 edition of the East Bay Express.
- Bike Month Calendar of Events Lots of fun events are taking place in May to celebrate Bike to Work Day. It kicks off with the Bike Show at the Art Murmur on May 6 and continues thru Bike to Work Day, Bike to Market Day, Bike-in Movies and more. Find out all the details at our Bike Month Calendar of Events.
- Bike Away from Work Party Thursday, May 12 5:30-8:30pm Old Oakland, Washington & 9th This year for our Bike Away from Work Party we will be taking to the streets in Old Oakland at the corner of Washington and 9th Street near downtown. The party goes from 5:30-8:30pm, and features Cyclecide’s pedal-powered bike rides, the Big Tadoo Puppet Crew, The Fabulous Derailleurs, awards presentations, raffle prizes, Trumer Pils beer and Clif Bar Winery wines, a parklet demonstration, as well as music from The Muddy Roses. Come out and bring your friends celebrate the close of another great Bike to Work Day in style.
- Remember to keep logging your bike trips for the Team Bike Challenge The Team Bike Challenge is a great way to get your co-workers and novice bicyclists excited about biking to work in May. All you need to do is to get together 2-5 people, register your team, and earn points for everyday in May that a team member rides their bike. The team with the most points at the end of May is the winner, and that could be your team on the podium.
- Ride into life! promo ads hit the streets The Bicycle Coalition hopes our Ride into life! promotional campaign inspires your co-workers and bike commuting friends to ride not just to work, but for all kinds of reasons. The ‘bicycle lifestyle’ ads run through Bike to Work Day and promote bicycling for everyday trips, that is to get to work, school, shopping, errands, travel, entertainment, with family, to transit, etc., and to continue bicycling year round.
- Clif Bar, Sun Light & Power, and Alta Planning & Design Win 2011 Bike-Friendly Business Awards The East Bay Bicycle Coalition announces the winners of its 2nd Annual Bike-Friendly Business Award: Clif Bar, Sun Light & Power, and Alta Planning & Design. For the 2nd year in a row, the EBBC will recognize these three bike-friendly workplaces at our fabulous Bike Away from Work Party in Old Oakland on Bike to Work Day, Thursday, May 12, 2011. “We have had numerous nominations from our members in the first two years of the competition,” said Renee Rivera, Executive Director of the EBBC, “and I wish we could make 30 awards instead of three. So many businesses in the East Bay realize that cycling to work makes their employees healthier, happier, and more productive. It’s good for business as well as for the planet.” Is your business bike-friendly? Find out how you can encourage more people to bicycle in your community by being a business establishment that promotes bicycling as a everyday means of transportation.
- We need your volunteer help to make this year’s Bike to Work Day the best ever Are you passionate about people biking? Are you a bike lane booster? Do you want more people out on bikes every day here on our East Bay streets? Then this is your chance to make a difference. We need to train 50 people between now and Bike to Work Day to help us spread the word about our campaigns and bring in new members to strengthen the bike movement in the East Bay.
Thank you to our generous Sponsors of Bike to Work Day 2011