Bike East Bay is looking for a dynamic and talented individual to join our team. If you are an entrepreneurial event planner who is excited about growing our events and business support, take a look at this position:
Title: Events and Business Partnerships Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Bike East Bay (formerly the East Bay Bicycle Coalition) was established in 1972 to promote the interests of bicyclists in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Our 4,000 member organization now includes local working groups throughout the East Bay. In addition to advocating for better bicycling conditions, Bike East Bay also coordinates Bike to Work Day promotion in the East Bay and has a successful bicycle safety education program offering free classes. This is a very exciting time for bicycling and Bike East Bay is poised for growth.
Bike East Bay seeks a full-time event manager to produce events from conception through to completion. The ideal candidate will be a strong team leader ready to take on a diverse number and type of events throughout the year, and will approach event-based fundraising with a creative and entrepreneurial spirit. This position is part of a dynamic team with a strong culture of celebrating success, accountability and mutual support. Bike East Bay is committed to equity, social justice and building leadership at all levels of the organization.
Bike East Bay organizes a number of large festivals, fundraisers, and events. This new position will participate in organizing these events from start to finish: from fundraising for and envisioning the events themselves to planning the show-flow, getting permits and organizing the logistics. This key position is responsible for building Bike East Bay’s relationships and strategic partnerships with business supporters.
The Events Manager will report to the Executive Director and work closely with our staff team.
- Lead the development, management, and coordination of all logistical components associated with Bike East Bay’s key annual fundraising events (Bike to Work Day, Pedalfest, Biketopia)
- Collaborate with event staff at partner businesses to produce fundraisers including Session Beer Fest and the Oakland Gran Fondo
- Develop and support new events in keeping with Bike East Bay’s mission and strategic goals
- Help secure sponsorships to grow Bike East Bay’s organizational capacity
- Build relationships with East Bay businesses as sponsors and supporters.
- Support Executive Director in sponsorship asks to existing supportive businesses, research and develop new business prospects
- Nurture relationships with partner community organizations and identify roles they can play in Bike East Bay events
- Develop event budgets and goals and monitor progress against them
- Coordinate and monitor event timelines and ensure deadlines are met
- Be creative in approaching events and in proposing new ways to operate and run the show, as well as new ways to increase net proceeds
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations
- Specify staff roles at events and coordinate their activities
- Coordinate marketing and PR to promote and publicize events
- Proactively handle and troubleshoot any issues or problems that emerge on the event day
- Research market, identify event opportunities and generate interest
- Ensure all sponsors, donors and volunteers receive timely and appropriate thanks
- Prepare presentations for the board and stakeholders
- Work with printers and designers to develop event invitations and promotional materials
- Coordinate registration and attendee tracking and conduct pre- and post-event evaluations
- Keep inventory of event-related materials and items
- 3+ years of event planning experience
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, including working with databases, task management, scheduling events/meetings, following up with partners and volunteers
- Be a self-starter able to take initiative on individual projects, understand the goals, stay on task, and ensure successful completion
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Strong oral communication skills and leadership skills—must speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrate group presentation skills
- Dependability—must arrive consistently at work and on time, follow instructions, and respond to directions in a prompt manner
- Basic knowledge of the types of bicycle facilities found in cities of the East Bay and in other bike-friendly cities around the country
- Fundraising experience
- Graphic design and layout
- Familiarity with the geography (actual and political) in the East Bay
- Experience working with and among diverse communities
- Passion for bicycling and improving East Bay communities
Compensation & Benefits:
The salary range for this full-time exempt position is $46,000 to $48,000 annually. Bike East Bay provides an excellent benefits package including 100% employer paid employee health, dental, match to retirement contributions, paid time off and holidays. Position includes work on weeknights and weekends for our major events. Weekday schedule flexibility and working from home are options at Bike East BAy to mitigate the demands of event production.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Executive Director Rene Rivera via email at [email protected]. Please include “Events Manager” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications accepted until position filled.