Join the Bike East Bay team this spring
Apply by March 20
- Be Bike East Bay’s bike ambassador in Fremont during Bike Month (May)
- Organize two bike rides in Fremont
- Table at an Energizer Station on Bike to Work Day (May 11)
- Promote and attend local events
- Stipend: $800
Bike East Bay is seeking an outgoing, engaging and fun Bike Ambassador who knows their way around Fremont and can rally people to attend fun bike events. We seek an individual who is comfortable addressing diverse audiences and ready to represent Bike East Bay in a variety of settings.
If you feel comfortable putting yourself out there, taking the lead on small events and speaking confidently with strangers, this internship will be a good fit. In this position you will gain hands-on experience representing and speaking for a well-established local nonprofit and take on leadership of outreach events. This is a great opportunity to join a fast paced, hard-working team in a position that allows for creative thinking and community organizing.
Responsibilities include representing Bike East Bay at a variety of public events, email correspondence with the Advocacy Manager and Events Manager, and organizing and leading bike rides.
The Fremont Bike Ambassador will report to Advocacy Manager Cynthia Armour. In addition, academic credit can be given by working with an academic institution’s internship program if need be. The hours for this internship are 6-8 hours per week and we seek an 8 week commitment starting April 3. Availability on Bike to Work Day (May 11) is necessary. Some travel to Oakland will be required.
- Familiarity with biking in Fremont
- A strong network in Fremont
- Strong interpersonal skills – must speak clearly and persuasively in public and professionally engage with people who hold either positive or negative attitudes towards biking
- Dependability – must arrive on time consistently, understand project goals, and respond to directions in a prompt manner
- Drive – must want to be a part of positive change in your community, and understand the benefits of bicycling
- Adaptability – receptive to changes in work environment and the type of events and people we talk to
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and to carry collateral materials and displays
- Experience leading rides or organizing and promoting events
- Commitment to building a bike-friendly East Bay
- Chinese, Spanish or Hindi language skills are a plus!
- Flexible schedule and willingness to work evening and weekend hours
- Photography skills
- Basic bike repair skills
Interested applicants should submit a resume and letter of interest to Advocacy Manager Cynthia Armour ([email protected]) by Wednesday, February 27 for an early April start date.
About Bike East Bay
Bike East Bay (formerly the East Bay Bicycle Coalition) is a 501c3 non-profit organization that promotes healthy, sustainable communities by making bicycling safe, fun and accessible in Alameda and Contra Costa County. Our 4,000+ member supported, grassroots advocacy has won important local campaigns like a protected bike lanes on Oakland’s Telegraph Avenue, as well as regional campaigns to bring bicycling access on BART and the Bay Bridge and significantly increased funding for bicycle and pedestrian improvements through Measure B and BB.
Bike East Bay is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.