Bike East Bay promotes healthy, sustainable communities by making bicycling safe, fun and accessible.
Bike East Bay seeks a full-time events manager to produce events from conception through to completion. The ideal candidate will be a strong team leader ready to take on a diverse number and type of events throughout the year, and will approach event-based fundraising with a creative and entrepreneurial spirit. This position is part of a dynamic team with a strong culture of celebrating success, accountability and mutual support. Bike East Bay is committed to equity, social justice, and building leadership at all levels of the organization.
Bike East Bay organizes a number of large festivals, fundraisers, and events. This position will organize these events from start to finish: from fundraising for and envisioning the events to planning the show-flow, getting permits, and organizing the logistics. This key position is responsible for building Bike East Bay’s relationships and strategic partnerships with business supporters.
Bike East Bay works in a collaborative, team-based goal-setting and accountability structure. The Events Manager will report to the Development Director and be part of the engagement team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development, management, and coordination of all logistical components associated with Bike East Bay’s major annual events (Bike to Wherever Day, Session Fest, Biketopia)
- With the Development Director, develop and support smaller in person and virtual events aimed at major donors and general membership
- Collaborate with community partners, business partners and vendors before and during events
- Secure event sponsorships in collaboration with Development Director and additional staff members
- Build and maintain relationships with businesses as sponsors and supporters
- Develop, manage, and track event budgets, expenses, and goals and monitor progress against them
- Coordinate and monitor event timelines and project plans and ensure deadlines are met
- Manage external event coordinators
- Be creative in approaching events and in proposing new ways to operate and run the show, as well as new ways to increase net proceeds
- Ensure compliance with insurance, legal, health and safety obligations
- Specify staff roles at events and coordinate their activities
- Coordinate marketing and PR to promote and publicize events
- Work with printers, designers, and Communications Manager to develop and execute event invitations and promotional materials
- Proactively handle and troubleshoot any issues or problems that emerge before and during events
- Ensure all sponsors, donors and volunteers receive timely and appropriate thanks
- Prepare presentations for the board and stakeholders as needed, and coordinate with board fundraising committee on event planning and promotion
- Coordinate registration and attendee tracking and conduct pre- and post-event evaluations
- Keep inventory of event-related materials and items
- 3+ years of event planning and/or project management experience, including experience with large and/or complex events
- Experience in managing and tracking multiple project budgets
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, including working with databases, task management, scheduling events/meetings, following up with partners and volunteers
- Ability to take initiative on individual projects, understand the goals, stay on task, and ensure successful completion
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Strong oral communication skills and leadership skills—must speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrate group presentation skills
- Willingness to travel locally and work occasional evenings and weekends
- Commitment to social and racial justice and familiarity with Bike East Bay’s mission to build bike-friendly cities and a more just and equitable transportation system
- High level of attention to detail and follow-through
- Highly organized with excellent time-management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and meet deadlines within a team environment
- Fundraising experience
- Graphic design skills, including Canva and InDesign
- Familiarity with the geography (actual and political) in the East Bay
- Experience working with and among diverse communities
- Passion for bicycling and improving East Bay communities
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this full-time exempt position is $70,000-$78,000. Bike East Bay provides a competitive benefits package including 100% employer paid employee health & dental, match of retirement contributions, paid time off and holidays. Hours may be flexible. This position will entail occasional work on weekends and evenings in order to manage events. This position is based out of our office located in Jack London Square, Oakland, CA, but employees are currently working 3-4 days remotely.
Bike East Bay is proud of our passionate, positive, and supportive workplace. We care deeply about each other as co-workers and as full people. Transportation justice is an essential part of our work as bicycle advocates and we are committed to working for equity and social justice. By sharing leadership, supporting each other through challenges, and loudly celebrating our successes, we are stronger as individuals, as an organization, and as a community.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to Development Director Rebecca Saltzman: email@example.com. Please include “Events Manager” and your name in the subject line.
Priority deadline for applications is January 12 with a desired start date in early March. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Bike East Bay is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.