Yes, the plan you keep hearing about–the West Downtown Plan–has been going on for years now. The city council finally saw the rough draft in late January, and it seems they were not too pleased. This gives all of us ample opportunity to voice our opinions for a better Plan.
What you can do:
Come to March 19 joint meeting of the Planning Commission and Transportation Commission. Thursday, March 19, 2015, 7:00 pm, Walnut Creek City Hall – 3rd Floor Conference Room, 1666 N Main Street
- Send a simple message of support for our asks to the people below. Tell them who you are, why you bike, and what you want to see from this plan. In brief, we would like to see streets that are safe enough for ALL AGES and ABILITIES to bike. In particular:
- protected bikeways on Olympic, Mt. Diablo, and California
- inclusion of the Olympic Corridor Connection Study
- support for the bridge over Ygnacio Valley Rd.
- more bike lockers
- separation of bike parking requirements from car parking
- streets designed for slow traffic through the neighborhoods
Planner Andy Smith
Senior Traffic Engineer Rafat Raie
Mayor Bob Simmons
Mayor pro-tem Loella Haskew
Councilmember Cindy Silva
Councilmember Justin Wedel
Councilmember Rich Carlston
You can mail your letter to: 1666 N. Main St, Walnut Creek, 94596
Additionally, there will be a meeting of All Five Commissions (cue the Godfather Theme song) on Thursday, February 19 (time TBA). They will be discussing the West Downtown plan for the first time in a public forum. Please add this to your calendar and plan to bring your family. This is a great chance to speak to all commissions at once.
For more information on how to help, contact [email protected]