Oakland’s Bicyclist & Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC) was established to advise the City Council on programs and projects related to walking and bicycling.
On the agenda:
- 6:10 Open Forum / Public Comment (10 minutes)—Members of the public may comment on any issue within BPAC’s subject matter jurisdiction. Comments on a scheduled agenda item will be heard with that item. The BPAC’s Open Forum Committee tracks Open Forum issues raised by the public. (See tinyurl.com/Oakland-BPAC-OpenForumTracking.) The Committee reviews the public comments on a periodic basis to identify policy issues for discussion by the Commission. To request City services, please contact the Public Works Call Center; information at www2.oaklandnet.com/ReportaProblem.
- 6:20 Oakland Public Space Initiative (30 minutes)—The Oakland Department of Transportation (OakDOT) is considering a new program that would integrate art into everyday infrastructure through projects like creative crosswalks and intersection paintings. Additionally the program would create new public spaces such as plazas and parklets. OakDOT staff released a survey in the beginning of June to assess community interest. Staff will present the initial results from the survey and discuss next steps.
- 6:50 Harrison St and 23rd St Pedestrian Safety Improvement Project (15 minutes) —Nicole Ferrara, Transportation Planner, will present a quick and effective pedestrian safety improvement project at the intersection of Harrison St and 23rd St, including background information, project designs, and next steps.
- 7:05 BPAC Commissioner Recruitment Outreach Plan (10 minutes)—Jennifer Stanley will describe the plan to recruit three commissioners for new three-year terms to start in January 2018. It has been the BPAC’s practice to review applications and make a recommendation to the Mayor. The BPAC will consider whether to convene a committee to review applications in time to make a recommendation that can be voted on at the September 2017 meeting. Applications should be submitted via the online form (https://oakland.granicus.com/boards/forms/168/apply/720040?code=e0b4dcb9-5e83-40e5-b2ad-55188683caed).
- 7:15 City of Oakland Transportation Commission (35 minutes)—Commissioner Kidd will share preliminary research on cities with Transportation Commissions, and lead a discussion on how/whether the BPAC would support a new commission.
Open to the public. To receive notice of meeting agendas, subscribe to get updates via GovDelivery.