Bike to School Day is May 17th at King Middle School in Berkeley!
Bike alone, in a team, with a train or get their on your own power and we will help find resources for you to see how families at King can bike more….)
What: Bike to School Day – King Middle School
When: Friday May 17th WED. 7:00 – 8:40AM
Where: King Middle School, Rose & Grant Streets, Berkeley
Goal: at least 100 bikes at King!
Bike Teams forming for competition ending with Assembly May 31st
The King MS “Company” is here – join it when you’re your team of 5 is set up (all your team must be affiliated with King (loosely define most just not otherwise affiliated) to join the company) http://teambikechallenge.com/companies/show/1270
First team: http://teambikechallenge.com/groups/show/1268
Prizes for best participating teams will be given out at a May 31st School Assembly with Rock the Bike to culminate Bike to Month activities at King!
Can sign up for team at the event or in advance at http://teambikechallenge.com/welcome
Bike trains where a group of kids or kids and adults start at a designate time for a single location and may or may not pick up others at “stops” along the way are being planned. If you can lead one it would be great to have teams leave at designated time and ride together from:
· San Pablo Park
· James Kenney Park
· Location of your choosing!
Email Amber Evans 7th grade parent no later than May 13 at email@example.com if interested in leading or Joel as below after the 13th
Pick-up a temporary tattoo or sticker at the event booth and show your PE teacher the next class day for possible PE credit (some teachers have signed up to give extra credit, others need to be lobbied – kids showing up at PE and telling the story of how you got to school on you own power is the best lobbying we can think off)
The Main Event
Bike to School Day at King is being celebrated bright and early with a completely free event –
· FREE Bike smoothies (and possible warm refreshments for early arrivals)
· FREE cliff bar treats – first come first serve to Everyone at King walking, biking, scootering, bussing and carpooling to school
· Scrapper bike – spoke art!
· Possible guest appearance by the King Band (past performances have included the National Anthem)
· Bike trains from San Pablo Park and James Kenney Park or other location (you can lead from any where grab some friends or neighbors)
· Cross Country team will likely be running from Cedar Rose Park for a Zero period arrival (second run for first period yet to be determined)
· Sign-up for Bike Mobile’s http://bike-mobile.org/ bike repairs – future event to be determined by demand
· Bike count – can we get the highest bike count King has ever seen? Goal of 100 has never been met!
· FREE Bike maps and assistance mapping personalized bike routes – both to King and to BHS (yes it is coming soon)
Want to help at the event (7-10 volunteers need) or to help organize specific Bike Teams/ Bike Routes (particularly if after May 13) Contact 6th grade parent Joel Gerwein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
UPCOMING EVENT: May 31st Rock the Bike Assembly Wrapping up Bike to Month Events