It is very bittersweet for us to announce that our longtime friend, colleague, and barbecue pit master Dave Campbell will be stepping down in November 2022. Robert Prinz is taking his place as Bike East Bay’s new Advocacy Director.
After many decades of stalwart bike advocacy throughout the East Bay with the Bike-Friendly Berkeley Coalition, then as a board member and volunteer with the East Bay Bicycle Coalition, and finally as staff with Bike East Bay, Dave Campbell with be moving on to his next adventure this fall. Taking his place as Advocacy Director is Robert Prinz who has been managing Bike East Bay’s Education Program since 2012, and who will join Community Organizer Stephen Marea on the advocacy team. Staff members Dani Solis and Dan Hernandez are the new co-managers of the Education Program.
Dave’s contributions to bicycling and safe streets advocacy in the East Bay over the years are incalculable, but here are just a few:
- Successful campaigns to win bike access on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge and on the Bay Bridge East Span path (you’re next, West Span!), and for the Berkeley bike/walk bridges at University Ave and Gilman Street
- Successful campaigns for local bike/walk/transit infrastructure and programs funding including Measure B/BB (Alameda County), Measure J (Contra Costa County), Measure RR (BART), and Measure KK (Oakland)
- Successful campaigns to win bicycle access on East Bay transit systems, including full access on BART as well as secure bike parking facilities in and around East Bay stations
- Development and oversight of local funding programs such as Safe Routes to Transit
- Pop-up bikeway pilot projects throughout the East Bay, many of which have since been built as permanent projects including Telegraph Ave in Oakland, as well as Hearst Ave and Milvia Street in Berkeley
- Successful campaigns to develop trails and protected bikeway projects throughout the East Bay, and protected intersections now on the ground in Alameda, Berkeley, Fremont, Oakland, and Pleasanton (more on the way!)
Share Your Thanks
We encourage everyone to help us thank Dave and celebrate his accomplishments with Bike East Bay by joining us at our annual Biketopia party and fundraiser in Downtown Oakland on October 8: BikeEastBay.org/Biketopia
Share your favorite photos and Dave stories online via the link below, for us to include in a multimedia display at the event:
Here’s one of our own favorites from the past, a StreetFilms video featuring Dave during his time with the Bike-Friendly Berkeley Coalition providing a tour of the original Berkeley BikeStation back when it was located underground, inside the BART station.
Meet the Team
Meet the rest of our amazing Bike East Bay staff team at Biketopia or any of our upcoming free rides & classes:
- Advocacy Director Robert and Membership Coordinator Phil are hosting our fun Fall Ride Series with family-friendly, paved trails rides coming up in September and October, starting with an Alameda Creek Trail ride in Fremont this Saturday, September 17.
- Education Program Co-Manager Dan Hernandez and more amazing instructors are leading free webinar or outdoor, on-the-bike classes on a variety of topics throughout the Fall. Details at BikeEastBay.org/Education.
We are also looking for a fantastic Co-Director of Mobility Justice to help lead our team and support Bike East Bay’s strategic priorities to build a more sustainable and equitable transportation system. Applications are being accepted now!