Join the Bike East Bay team this spring
Apply by February 15
- Create a public calendar of Bike Month events
- Schedule a presence for Bike East Bay at outreach events
- Represent Bike East Bay at public events leading up to Bike to Work Day
- Stipend: $1,200
Bike East Bay is seeking an outgoing, engaging and fun Outreach Intern who can effectively communicate our message with people at a variety of public events. We seek an individual who is comfortable addressing diverse audiences and ready to represent Bike East Bay with a high level of professionalism.
If you feel comfortable putting yourself out there, taking the lead on small events and speaking confidently and professionally with strangers, this internship will be a good fit. In this position you will gain hands-on experience representing and speaking for a well-established local nonprofit and take on leadership of outreach events. This is a great opportunity to join a fast paced, hard-working team in a position that allows for creative thinking and public speaking.
Responsibilities include representing Bike East Bay at a variety of public events, email correspondence with event managers to schedule Bike East Bay’s presence, and sourcing event details from organizations around the East Bay to create a Bike Month Calendar.
The Outreach Intern will report to Events Manager Dave Mann and work closely with Outreach Coordinator Francisco Grajales. Academic credit can be given by working with your academic institution’s internship program. The hours for this internship are 6-10 hours per week and we seek a 10 week commitment starting March 6. Availability on Bike to Work Day (May 11) is necessary.
- Strong oral communication skills – must speak clearly and persuasively in public and professionally engage with people who hold either positive or negative attitudes towards biking
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and to carry collateral materials and displays
- Adaptability – receptive to changes in work environment and the type of events and people we talk to
- Dependability – must arrive on time consistently, understand project goals, and respond to directions in a prompt manner
- Outgoing, dynamic, and flexible personality
- Familiarity with biking in the East Bay
- Be a self-starter able to take initiative on individual projects
- Experience managing volunteers
- Commitment to building a bike-friendly East Bay
- Spanish or Chinese language skills are a plus!
- Flexible schedule and be willingness to work evening and weekend hours
- Photography Skills
- Graphic Design skills
Interested applicants should submit a resume and letter of interest to Events Manager Dave Mann (Dave.Mann@BikeEastBay.org) by Wednesday, February 15 for a March 6 start date.
About Bike East Bay
Bike East Bay (formerly the East Bay Bicycle Coalition) is a 501c3 non-profit organization that promotes healthy, sustainable communities by making bicycling safe, fun and accessible in Alameda and Contra Costa County. Our 4,000+ member supported, grassroots advocacy has won important local campaigns like a protected bike lanes on Oakland’s Telegraph Avenue, as well as regional campaigns to bring bicycling access on BART and the Bay Bridge and significantly increased funding for bicycle and pedestrian improvements through Measure B and BB.
Bike East Bay is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.