Now Hiring: Communications Manager
Posted June 21, 2021
Bike East Bay is seeking a Communications Manager who will grow our advocacy voice, membership numbers, and grassroots power to drive social change for a more equitable transportation system. In the next 6 months, this position will oversee a website redesign and brand refresh, and within one year will develop a strategic communications plan that centers transportation justice and the leadership and experiences of people of color.
This position is responsible for managing and producing content for Bike East Bay’s print and digital channels. The Communications Manager leads and coordinates communications needs across the organization, with a special focus on advocacy and community engagement.
The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director, manages communications vendors and consultants, and supervises interns and volunteers as needed. The ideal candidate has experience working in social change communications for environmental justice and/or social justice. The position has strong potential for growth and future opportunities to play a leadership role in articulating the overall direction of the organization.
Location and Hours: Full-time, with occasional evenings and weekend duties. The position is based in Bike East Bay’s offices in Oakland’s Jack London Square. Bike East Bay is currently working remotely through the pandemic with occasional in-office or on-location duties. We expect to return to full in-person work by the end of summer 2021.
Start Date: August 2, 2021
Communications Planning & Strategy:
- Develop the organization’s communications strategy to meet goals for growing participation, financial and volunteer resources, and advocacy power.
- Develop Bike East Bay’s core messages, voice and branding as a fierce and joyful advocate for mobility justice
- Manage the organization’s multi-channel communications calendar
- Drive and evaluate print and digital engagement through inbound marketing and lead generation
- In the next six months, lead a website redesign and brand refresh in collaboration with a web design consultant
- In the next year, spearhead a content and digital engagement strategy that centers transportation justice and the leadership and experiences of people of color
- Develop and manage the annual communications budget in collaboration with the Engagement team
- Analyze Bike East Bay’s narrative strategies through the lens of social and racial justice; recognize and address our biases and mistakes; share learnings in order to increase competency for transportation justice work throughout the bicycle advocacy movement
Bike East Bay Media & Marketing
- Oversee production and publication of the email newsletter (biweekly) and RideOn member magazine (3-4 issues annually)
- Manage all digital channels, including the website and social media; implement paid advertising and Google Ads grant across digital platforms
- Oversee and support visual communications needs, including photography, videography, graphic design and other visual assets
- Manage incoming media inquiries, maintain and grow media relations, create press releases and proactively pitch media outlets
- Design and produce membership and fundraising assets in collaboration with the Engagement team, including the annual report, fundraising appeals, event promotion, and other program collateral
- Support advocacy and program staff with communications needs in campaign planning and execution
- Solicit staff content for print and digital channels; provide primary editorial and copyediting support
- Train and support staff to maintain Bike East Bay’s brand identity and voice consistently across channels and programs
- Publicize and increase engagement at Bike East Bay’s major fundraising and community events
- Facilitate weekly coordination with Advocacy and Engagement teams
- Lead rapid-response communications
The ideal candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- Four years experience in nonprofit communications, public relations, marketing and advertising, or related experience
- Experience developing and/or implementing strategic communications plans with a track record of increasing constituent engagement
- Strong understanding and demonstrated communications experience in social, racial and /or environmental justice
- Experience in developing or implementing core messaging and brand identity
- Excellent writing, storytelling, and copyediting skills
- Experience producing print magazines or newsletters, and/or creating print and digital assets for marketing and fundraising
- Demonstrated success at engaging audiences on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets)
- Graphic design skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), and/or experience managing graphic designers; video editing experience a plus
- Experience in website management and basic HTML markup
- Ability to give constructive feedback and edit communications from non-professional writers
- Strong project management skills, ability to prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Experience in media analytics for evaluating marketing and communications performance
- Experience fielding press inquiries, writing press releases and pitching stories to the media
- Experience working with a constituent relationship management (CRM) database
- Production-quality event and portrait photography skills, and/or experience managing professional photographers
- Experience in member-based, nonprofit advocacy or social justice organizations
- Familiarity with Bike East Bay’s mission to build bike-friendly cities and a more just and equitable transportation system
Physical Demands: Needs to be able to operate a computer for most of the working hours.
Work Hours: Full-time, Monday to Friday. Position will entail work on occasional evenings and weekends. Flextime options are available.
Compensation & Benefits:
The salary range for this full-time, exempt position is $65,000-$75,00, depending on depth of experience. Bike East Bay provides a competitive benefits package including health and dental plans, match to retirement contributions, paid time off and holidays.
Bike East Bay is proud of our passionate, positive, and supportive workplace. We care deeply about each other as co-workers and as full people. Transportation justice is an essential part of our work as bicycle advocates and we are committed to working for equity and social justice. By sharing leadership, supporting each other through challenges, and loudly celebrating our successes, we are stronger as individuals, as an organization, and as a community.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Bike East Bay Executive Director at Ginger@BikeEastBay.org. Please include “Communications Manager” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Bike East Bay values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.