Now Hiring: Temporary, Part-time Communications Manager
Posted April 3, 2018
Bike East Bay is hiring a temporary, part-time Communications Manager to implement our external communications plan. The position is based in Bike East Bay’s offices in Oakland’s Jack London Square. It is expected to be 30 hours per week from May 1, 2018 to August 31, 2018 paying $25 per hour. The Communications Manager will report to the Interim Executive Director and work both independently and collaboratively with the Bike East Bay team.
- Oversee and produce Bike East Bay media for public consumption (website, blog, email newsletter, print and digital magazine, social media, annual report, program collateral, membership and fundraising appeals, press releases, speeches and talking points)
- Ensure communications align with our core messages, branding, and strategic plan
- Manage relations communications-related vendors, consultants, or event partners
- Manage social media channels to increase engagement and reach
- Publicize and increase engagement at Bike East Bay’s major events (Bike to Work Day, Pedalfest)
- Oversee photography assets and produce as necessary
- Four years’ experience in non-profit communications, fundraising development, public relations, marketing and advertising, or related experience
- Excellent writing, storytelling, and copy-editing skills
- Strong ear and eye for Bike East Bay’s message, tone, and branding
- Demonstrated success at engaging audiences on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Advanced level skills in the use of Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets)
- Basic graphic design skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
- Experience in web publishing and basic HTML markup
- Ability to give constructive feedback and edit communications from non-professional writers
- Strong project management skills, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with and support of Bike East Bay’s mission to build bike-friendly cities and a more just and equitable transportation system
- Experience in producing print magazines or newsletters
- Experience working with a constituent database (CiviCRM)
- Experience in member based, non-profit advocacy or social justice organizations
- Ability to engage press with track record of earned media placements
- Production-quality event and portrait photography skills, or experience managing professional photographers
This temporary, 30 hours per week position will start May 1, 2018 and end August 31, 2018 and pay $25 per hour. Position may require work on some weeknights and weekends. Weekday schedule is flexible around event demands.
Bike East Bay is proud of our passionate, positive, and supportive workplace. We care deeply about each other as co-workers and as full people. Transportation justice is an essential part of our work as bicycle advocates and we are committed to working for equity and social justice. By sharing leadership, supporting each other through challenges, and loudly celebrating our successes, we are stronger as individuals, as an organization, and as a community.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to Ginger Jui by email at Ginger@BikeEastBay.org. Please include “Communications Manager” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications accepted until position filled.
Bike East Bay is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.