Now Hiring: Communications Manager
Posted July 16, 2018
Bike East Bay is seeking an experienced Communications Manager to lead our communications strategy and grow our movement for bicycle-friendly cities.
Bike East Bay’s mission is to promote healthy, sustainable communities by making bicycling safe, fun, and accessible. The Communications Manager will lead a communications plan to support our strategic plan. Working closely with the Executive Director and in collaboration with program staff, the Communications Manager will develop core messages, storytelling strategies, and marketing plans to deepen engagement across our membership, fundraising, events, and advocacy programs. This position will manage and produce audience-centered content for Bike East Bay’s print and digital channels.
Location and Hours: Full-time, with occasional evenings and weekends for events. The position is based in Bike East Bay’s offices in Oakland’s Jack London Square.
Reports to: Executive Director
- In collaboration with program staff, develop and implement an annual communications plan, core messages, and branding to support our strategic plan
- Oversee and produce Bike East Bay media for public consumption (website, blog, email newsletter, print and digital magazine, social media, annual report, program collateral, membership and fundraising appeals, press releases, speeches, and talking points)
- Build and maintain media relations and respond to media inquiries
- Design print and digital collateral for Bike East Bay programs, events, and fundraising
- Manage relations with communications-related vendors, consultants, and event partners
- Manage social media channels to increase engagement and reach
- Publicize and increase engagement at Bike East Bay’s major events, including Bike to Work Day and Pedalfest
- Oversee and produce photography assets
The ideal candidate will have most of the following qualifications:
- Two years experience in nonprofit communications, fundraising development, public relations, marketing and advertising, or related experience
- Experience in developing strategic communications plans with a track record of increasing constituent engagement
- Strong understanding of core messaging and brand development
- Excellent writing, storytelling, and copyediting skills
- Experience producing print magazines or newsletters and creating print and digital assets for marketing and fundraising
- Demonstrated success at engaging audiences on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets)
- Advanced graphic design skills in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience in website graphic and interface design, publishing, and basic HTML markup
- Ability to give constructive feedback and edit communications from non-professional writers
- Strong project management skills, ability to prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Experience in web and digital media analytics for evaluating marketing and communications performance
- Ability to engage press with track record of earned media placements and experience in handling crisis communications
- Experience working with a constituent relationship management (CRM) database
- Production-quality event and portrait photography skills, or experience managing professional photographers
- Experience in member-based, nonprofit advocacy or social justice organizations
- Familiarity with and support of Bike East Bay’s mission to build bike-friendly cities and a more just and equitable transportation system
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full-time position starting September 1, 2018 with an annual salary of $50,000-$55,000, and competitive benefits including health and dental insurance and an employer-matched retirement savings plan. Position may require occasional work on weeknights and weekends. Weekday schedule is flexible around event demands.
Bike East Bay is proud of our passionate, positive, and supportive workplace. We care deeply about each other as co-workers and as full people. Transportation justice is an essential part of our work as bicycle advocates and we are committed to working for equity and social justice. By sharing leadership, supporting each other through challenges, and loudly celebrating our successes, we are stronger as individuals, as an organization, and as a community.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a graphic design portfolio to Executive Director Ginger Jui by email at Ginger@BikeEastBay.org. Please include “Communications Manager” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Bike East Bay is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our team. We do not discriminate in employee decisions and provide equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex, or age.