Bikeways for Fremont has grown a lot over the last year. Just two years ago, we were just two dozen people and now the membership roster is nearing 150.
Clearly we’re too big for everybody to sit down in a room and discuss where we want to take this group and its mission of enabling better bicycling in the Tri-Cities area. That said, those of us who do want to discuss it are invited to Starbucks at Los Arboles Shopping Center in Fremont on Saturday January 16, 2016, 3pm-ish.
What’s there to discuss?
- How do we fulfill our mission of improving bikeways? What should we do? Who can do it?
Some concrete topics for 2016:
- Fremont is updating its Bicycle Master Plan this year. Take a look at the old one <https://www.fremont.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/6919>; and think about what changes you would like to see. This is probably the most important municipal policy document affecting bikeways that we can influence. A lot of funding gets prioritized based on this plan.
- Along that line, does anybody know how to give input to the Newark and Union City Bike Master Plans?
- There’s also some interesting stuff going on with Bike East Bay this year.
And there’s the organizational stuff as we grow:
- When we (well Michael and Aytug actually) started, meetup.com was free. It now costs money.
- Do we need sponsors? membership dues?
- Should we move to Facebook?
- And even if we stay, should we have a Facebook/Twitter/etc. presence anyway? Think about it. No really, please think about it, ‘cause I’m no good at social media. This will be a stationary meetup, so drop in and leave anytime.
I’m targeting a couple of hours, but Starbucks is open until 11pm, so people can hang out as long as inclined. There are nice bike racks in front of the Bicycle Garage around the corner (Blacow entrance to the shopping center). Also plenty of automobile parking if that’s your mode of transportation.
Oh, and if you can’t make it (or just don’t want to make that kind of commitment), please write some comments in the discussions on what you would like to see us do this year. Remember, we can’t spell “meetup” without “U”.