We’ll cover on-road, on-your-bike practice sessions, working in small groups with our certified instructors to improve your handling skills, emergency maneuvers, and ability to confidently and safely bike on all types of streets and pathways.
This class will be split into two parts, as follows:
- Part 1, On-the-bike drills (10am-12pm): This first section includes a group orientation then an on-bike session in a controlled environment like a parking lot or playground blacktop, practicing bike handling and hazard avoidance skills in a relaxed setting.
- Part 2, On-road group practice (1pm-3pm): For this second section instructors will take participants out on the road around nearby neighborhoods, streets, and paths, practicing our skills drills in a real world environment.
Participants are welcome to join us for just Part 1, or stick around for both Parts 1 and 2. The free bike lights and other incentives are available for everyone even if they don't participate for both sections, but any individuals taking this class as a prerequisite for a League of American Bicyclists instructor certification must attend both.
Attending one of our “Day 1” Urban Cycling 101: Classroom Workshops is normally a prerequisite to taking a Road Class. However, if you can not make one of our classroom sessions and still want to sign up for a road class please contact our Education Co-Manager dani@BikeEastBay.org for an alternate arrangement. If the class is full, you can click here to be added to the wait list or be notified about future sessions as they are added.
- A functional bicycle and helmet.
- Snacks, water, and sunscreen.
- A face covering (we will provide these on site if you do not have your own).
Ages 15 and up only. Any minors joining us for this class must be accompanied by an adult who is also participating in the class, and both must be registered individually. This is not a learn-to-ride class, and all participants are expected to be comfortable with the basics of balancing, pedaling, and steering.
Click the image below to download the Traffic Skills 101 manual before attending this class, to review the information covered in the “Day 1” class you attended.
4433 Willow Rd
Pleasanton, CA 94588