You’re invited to celebrate Advocacy Director Dave Campbell’s 24 years of work, volunteering, and monumental wins for better biking in the East Bay. Save the date for Dave’s going away party on Wednesday, November 16, 5-8pm at 7th West in Oakland.
Register to let us know you’re coming!
The East Bay is a safer and more enjoyable place to bike because of Dave’s advocacy. Dave’s accomplishments over more than two decades in East Bay bicycle advocacy have been far-reaching.
- As part of the Bicycle-Friendly Berkeley Coalition (BFBC), Dave helped design and later operate the first bike parking station, which opened in 1999 at Downtown Berkeley BART. BFBC later merged with Bike East Bay and this concept has grown to 14 Bike Stations serving BART and Caltrain riders across the Bay Area.
- As a volunteer, board member and contractor with Bike East Bay, Dave helped secure funding for and lead the organization’s first bicycle education, bike valet and Bike to Work Day programs. We finally hired Dave to become one of the first paid staff at the organization in 2011.
- In 2014, Dave led the successful campaign office for Measure BB. He rallied staff and volunteers in a get-out-the-vote effort, leading voters to approve $1 billion to fund bicycle infrastructure and programs in Alameda County over 30 years.
- Dave pioneered the “pop-up to permanent protected bikeway” strategy, where Bike East Bay uses temporary materials to build demonstration bikeways and then convinces neighbors and cities to build them for real. Dave’s popups have led to the construction of permanent protected bike lanes on Hearst Avenue and Milvia Street in Berkeley and in both the KONO and Temescal neighborhoods in Oakland.
- In response to the George Floyd protests in 2020, Dave played a key role in Oakland’s Reimagining Public Safety Task Force to guide recommendations for equitable traffic safety enforcement. Oakland City Council later approved the recommendation to move forward with removing armed police from traffic safety.
We hope to see you at the party!