become an instructor with
bike east bay
Our award-winning education program is growing! Do you have a love for bicycling and want to share that love for bicycling with others? Are you passionate about bikes as a tool for transportation, mobility, and freedom?
Thanks to generous support from the Alameda County Transportation Commission, we will be offering 16 scholarships to attend our League of American Bicyclists instructor (LCI) certification seminar at our Oakland office in March of 2024.
This will be a 3-day, two-weekend certification seminar taking place on:
- Saturday, March 23rd, 2024, 8:30am-5:30pm
- Sunday, March 24th, 2024, 8:30am-5:30pm
- Saturday, March 30th, 2024, 9am-4pm
We are especially looking to expand our instructor representation of women, non-binary individuals, and people of color. Although no professional experience is required to apply, all applicants must first:
- Pass the League of American Bicyclists’ Smart Cycling Exam with a score of 85% or higher. We highly encourage you to also participate in an Urban Cycling 101: Day 1 class provided by Bike East Bay to prepare or supplement your knowledge.
- Participate in a Smart Cycling 2 on-bike class at Bike East Bay (Urban Cycling 101: Day 2) or at a neighboring bike coalition such as the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition or San Francisco Bicycle Coalition.
These requisites must be completed in sequential order prior to applying for a scholarship to the seminar.
To find out more about instructor certification, please visit the League of American Bicyclists. If you have already received your LCI certification and you would like to work with Bike East Bay as a bike instructor, please review the instructor job description and get in contact with Kelly (at) BikeEastBay.org.
To apply for a spot in our upcoming certification seminar, please fill out the application form. Form responses will be accepted until January 26th, 2024 11:59pm.
Please contact Education (at) BikeEastBay.org for any questions.