Bike East Bay’s award-winning education program is growing in 2023, with opportunities for certified bike instructors to earn money teaching both in-person and webinar classes professionally. A League of American Bicyclists instructor certification (LCI) is required, so we are providing a 3-day, two weekend certification seminar at our Oakland office in late March with registration fees paid for 16 candidates thanks to generous support from the Alameda County Transportation Commission.
If you have already received your LCI certification and you would like to work with Bike East Bay as a bike instructor, please get in contact with Dan (at) BikeEastBay.org.
This three day, two weekend seminar will take place on:
Saturday, March 18th, 2023 8:30am-5:30pm
Saturday, March 25th, 2023, 8:30am-5:30pm
Sunday, March 26th, 2023, 9am-4pm
The purpose of this training is to increase the number of active and engaged Bike East Bay instructors and to increase the number of women, non-binary individuals, and people of color teaching bike education classes. Please note, no technical or professional experience is required, most importantly all you need is a love for bicycling and a desire to share this with others. Anyone who is interested in teaching with Bike East Bay can find out more about instructor certification at www.BikeLeague.org/content/become-instructor.
Read about one of our previous instructor certification seminars here, and fill out the application form below to let us know your interest, or share it with a friend who you think would be a great fit for this opportunity! Form responses will be accepted between December 16th, 2023 and January 26th, 2023 11:59pm.
There are two requirements to register for the 3-day training seminar: Part 1 and Part 2 (both to be completed by March 18th, 2023-the first day of the seminar). Listed below are the options available to meet these requirements. The parts must be completed in sequential order (complete part 1 before part 2).
Part 1 Requirement
- January 18th, 2023, Urban Cycling Day 1 Classroom Workshop (online webinar)
- January 25th, 2023, Smart Cycling 1 (online webinar)
- February 8th, 2023, Urban Cycling Day 1 Classroom Workshop (online webinar)
- February 25th, 2023, Urban Cycling Day 1 Classroom Workshop (online webinar)
- March 7th, 2023, Smart Cycling 1 (San Francisco)
- Or, complete the Smart Cycling exam offered by the League. This exam encompasses material from the Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced sections of the Smart Cycling curriculum. Go through the content at your own pace, then take the exam at the end. You must pass with an 85% or higher to fulfill the Part 1 requirement.
Part 2 Requirement
- February 12th, 2023, Urban Cycling Day 2 Road Class (Fremont)
- February 26th, 2023, Urban Cycling Day 2 Road Class (Berkeley)
- March 5th, 2023, Urban Cycling Day 2 Road Class (Pleasanton)
Please contact Education (at) BikeEastBay.org for any questions.