Membership and Volunteer Director
The East Bay Bicycle Coalition (EBBC) is looking for a highly motivated, talented individual to direct our membership, outreach, volunteer and bicycle safety education programs. The EBBC was founded in 1972 to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation and recreation. This is a very exciting time for bicycling in the East Bay and the EBBC is poised for growth. The Membership Director will oversee the EBBC’s program to set goals and implement strategies to significantly expand its 2,500-person membership.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement strategies for annual membership recruitment and retention, including organizing mailings, phone banks, email appeals, and event outreach
- Direct the EBBC’s outreach efforts including Bike to Work Day and regular events throughout the year
- Manage the EBBC’s membership and development database, including membership and donation processing, mailings and data entry
- Recruit, train, and manage day-to-day volunteers with a priority on membership needs and outreach events
- Oversee the work of seasonal interns for projects such as Bike to Work Day outreach and Bike Safety promotion
- Manage and lead regular Volunteer Nights
- Support the Executive Director in fundraising efforts including mail and email appeals, and events
- Work with the Program Director to coordinate the EBBC’s bicycle safety education program including scheduling and promoting classes, workshops and other education events
The right candidate for the Membership and Volunteer Director position will
- Be a creative and motivated self-starter
- Be capable of and enthused about working as a part of a team
- Be highly organized, with excellent attention to detail
- Be able to handle and prioritize multiple tasks at once
- Be goal-oriented
- Demonstrate passion for making the East Bay a better place to bike
- Have membership and/or volunteer recruitment or grassroots organizing experience
- Have a great track record of motivating and managing interns and volunteers
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Have good computer skills, including experience managing a database (CiviCRM a plus)
This full-time position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with a talented team of staff and volunteer bicycle advocates. Starting salary of $30,000 annually including health benefits. The position will require some work on weeknights and weekends, as many activities occur after work on weekdays and on weekends.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should submit resume and letter of interest to Renee Rivera, Executive Director via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Membership Director Search” in the subject line.
The East Bay Bicycle Coalition was established in 1972 to promote the interests of bicyclists in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Our first campaign was to gain bicycle access to the new BART transit system of the early 1970’s. Since then, our 2500+ member organization has grown and includes local chapters and organizations throughout the East Bay. In addition to advocating for better bicycling conditions, the EBBC also coordinates the annual Bike to Work Day promotion in the East Bay, and has a successful bicycle safety education program offering free classes throughout Alameda County.